We all know that apple cider vinegar (ACV) has a lot of benefits for health and beauty. To be honest, apple cider vinegar is one of the most common natural remedies for different diseases, including acid reflux. Generally, apple cider vinegar is made from crushed apples. Yeast and bacteria are added to help ferment the liquid. This liquid is initially similar to a hard apple cider due to the alcohol content. After a certain amount of time of fermentation, the alcohol changes into vinegar. Raw and organic apple cider vinegar are both permitted to naturally ferment. Those liquids are unfiltered and take on a cloudy, brownish appearance.
How to use apple cider vinegar for heartburn effectively? At first, acid reflux or heartburn and vinegar may sound like an unlikely combination till you review the positive testimonials shown throughout the internet. Heartburn happens when strong stomach acid leaks back up into the human esophagus – the tube carrying food from the mouth to the stomach. A common cause of heartburn is that the stomach might not have enough acid to break down and then digest the food. That is why it irritates and inflames the esophageal wall, finally leading to acid reflux and heartburn. Take a look at this “How to use apple cider vinegar for heartburn” article from Wikiyeah.com!
Symptoms Of Heartburn
Some of the most common heartburn symptoms are:
- A burning sensation below the breast bone or ribs
- Pain comes after meals upon lying on the back, when experiencing anxiety or when exercising
- Chest pain particularly after lying down, eating or bending over.
- Burning within the throat – or sour, hot acidic or salty-tasting fluid at the throat of your back
- Trouble swallowing
- Chronic cough, chronic hoarseness or sore throat
How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Work For Heartburn?
Apple cider vinegar can work for acid reflux or heartburn because:
- Vinegar is acidic in nature, aiding digestion by breaking down the fats, therefore preventing heartburn and acid reflux. The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar is beneficial digestion due to its alkaline-based digestive properties.
- Apple cider vinegar is high in phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and other minerals which are good for digestion and weight loss.
- Drinking ACV will supply the LES valve with the acidity necessary to regain proper functioning.
- If taken regularly, ACV will help improve mineral absorption and digestion, which plays a main role in decreasing acid reflux.
- ACV not only is good for digestion but also supplies a range of vitamins and minerals and also accelerates a more alkaline environment within the human body that helps to damage harmful bacteria for food to digest appropriately.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Heartburn
1. Apple Cider Vinegar And Water
- Add 2 tablespoons of ACV into a glass of 8 ounces of water
- Add honey (optional)
- Drink regularly before the meal or when the acid reflux strikes
- Or, add this to smoothies
Avoid drinking ACV without diluting because it may irritate your esophagus and ruin your tooth enamel
2. Apple Cider Vinegar And Honey
Having high content of potassium which is beneficial for neutralizing the stomach acids and cure heartburn, honey is a key ingredient to a home remedy for heartburn using ACV.
- Mix honey and ACV with the ratio of 1:1
- Sip this solution to lessen acid reflux symptoms
- Drink the solution whenever your heartburn strikes
3. Apple Cider Vinegar And Baking Soda
If you add baking soda to ACV, it helps neutralize the acid to only 7.0. If not, the acidity will lead to dental sensitivity and finally enamel erosion. When mixing ACV, baking soda and water, you can gain an effective home treatment for acid reflux.
- Mix 2 tbsp of ACV, ¼ tsp of baking soda and 250mg of water
- Stir them well and consume it twice to thrice per day on your empty stomach for about 5 days or more
- In severe cases, you can mix 2 tbsp of ACV and 2 tbsp of baking soda in a glass of water. Drink twice or thrice per day
- Repeat for a better result
Warnings And Precautions
When using apple cider vinegar for heartburn, some people might experience side effects which are:
- Tooth erosion
- Throat irritation
- Blood thinning
- Reduced potassium
You had better consume a small amount of ACV and it should be diluted with fresh water. The solution should relieve burning sensation associated by the acid within the ACV.
To avoid the damage towards enamel on your teeth, you should use a straw to drink the solution. Consult a doctor if your heartburn symptoms do not improve or worsen overtime of using.
- ACV might interact with some types of medications, such as laxatives, diuretics, heart disease medications
- You should not use ACV in case you have an ulcer as it may aggravate your symptoms
- Consuming ACV, even when diluted in water, could also wear down the teeth enamel.