Have you ever heard about coconut oil for teeth whitening? Coconut oil for teeth whitening is increasing popular as one of home methods used to whiten teeth naturally. This method is known as oil pulling – the method originating from India. This ancient Indian technique is recommended by many practitioners. However, can coconut oil help whiten your teeth? In fact, teeth whitening involves in bleaching the teeth to make them brighter and whiter. Depending on how brown or yellow your teeth are, coconut oil might lighten the existing color a few shades lighter and make them white.
Even, enthusiasts for this method claim that not only does coconut oil whiten teeth but also add glow to your skin, prevent colds and help relieve exhaustion.
Does It Really Make A Difference In Whitening Your Teeth?
Untill recently, there has been not much scientific evidence to prove the benefits of oil pulling. Oil pulling is increasingly being added to the morning brush and floss routine of people worldwide, but it has been a traditional method for 3,000 years in the ancient healing system of India – Ayurvedic medicine.
Oil pulling involves taking one teaspoon of oil and then swishing it around the mouth for 5-20 minutes before spitting it out. In Ayurvedic medicine, some benefits of coconut oil include fresher breath, glowing skin, and a better capability of fighting colds, brightening dark circles under the eyes, and relieving exhaustion.
Is Coconut Oil Really Good For Teeth Whitening?
Coconut oil helps whiten teeth, and remove plaque and bacteria. Also, it provides fresh breath. Using coconut oil for teeth whitening does not come with side effects and could be used on sensitive teeth.
In compared with other oils that could be used for pulling, coconut oil has a pleasant taste and is cheaper. In general, there are varieties of coconut oil available in the market, including:
- Unrefined or pure coconut oil
- Virgin coconut oil
- Refined coconut oil
- Extra virgin coconut oil
- Organic virgin coconut oil
Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Teeth Whitening
There are a lot of reasons making coconut oil an ideal remedy for cleaning teeth:
- It does not contain harmful chemicals
- It tastes less strong in compared with other oils
- It does not foam within the mouth
- It removes harmful bacteria inside your mouth
- It is easy to find and inexpensive
- It alleviates inflammation and also heals bleeding gums
- It can soothe throat dryness and heal the chapped lips
- It removes bad breath
- It strengthens the jaws and gums
Coconut for teeth whitening is highly recommended in the morning. You should address decaying teeth, tooth infection and fillings before you whiten your teeth with coconut oil.
How to use coconut oil for teeth whitening
- Take a teaspoon of coconut oil and place it in the mouth, allow it to warm till it liquefies
- Swish the oil in the mouth for 15 minutes. Make sure that it covers every area of your gums and teeth. Avoid gargling with it.
- Spit it out and rinse your mouth with warm water.
- After that, brush it as normal
- Do this daily
As an alternative, you could add coconut oil to your toothbrush and use it to brush or simply use a clean cloth to rub it over your teeth.
It is worth noting that coconut oil is solid at the room temperature and you might have to chew on it a little bit to let it liquefy.
Using coconut oil for teeth whitening is easy. You could mix it with some other products with similar benefits for your gums and teeth. The followings collected by WikiYeah are some recipes on how to combine coconut oil with other products for teeth whitening.
1. Coconut Oil And Baking Soda
Coconut oil and baking soda can whiten your teeth naturally without much cost
- Mix 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and baking soda together in a small box to create a good paste
- Add 10 drops of peppermint oil into the mixture to improve the smell and taste
- Use this as your daily toothpaste
2. Coconut Oil And Toothpaste
The majority of toothpaste brands contain some chemicals such as fluoride which may harm your teeth. Fluoride has been linked to a few problems, such as throat dryness. Many other products contain sulfites that coat the teeth and prevent mineralization.
There are some good natural toothpastes, yet making homemade ones will ensure that you have all the necessary ingredients.
- Add coconut oil to your toothpaste and brush your teeth as normal.
- Swish around to make sure coconut oil cover all areas of your mouth.
- Spit it out and rinse your mouth off with clean water
While there is not much different between the properties of coconut oil in varieties, it is highly recommended to use organic virgin oil for the goal of teeth whitening. Studies have shown that coconut oil, especially the extra virgin coconut oil type, has good health benefits even if used in small amounts.
How Long Does Teeth Whitening Using Coconut Oil Take?
In order to see a noticeable difference in your teeth brightness, you need to be persistent because it depends on how stained and yellow your teeth are. It seems to take long amount of time for your teeth to be whitened if they are deeply set with yellow stains.
You should make this part of your daily tooth care. Do not give up. When using coconut oil for teeth whitening, you should notice fresher breath first.