Having white teeth is a goal of not only women but also men, from young to old. However, some people have pesky white spots on their teeth. So what are they? What are the causes of that problem? How to get rid of white spots on teeth fast?
Some people say that white spots on teeth are a sign of drinking too much milk. But that is not true. They are actually a sign of losing mineral content on the tooth surface and an indication of tooth decay. There are a lot of reasons why people have white spots on their teeth, but the most commons are:
Causes Of White Spots On Teeth
- Dry mouth: dry mouth means there is not enough saliva to keep the pH level of the mouth near neutral. Thus, acid production bacteria as a result will attack your teeth. Medical conditions, prescription drugs, and breathing through the mouth upon sleeping causes dry mouth.
- Acidic drinks and foods: dry mouth could be caused by consuming too much acidic products. If you drink too much sport drinks, carbonated soda, lemonade, vitamin water, and apple cider vinegar, their high acidic content may eat your teeth’s enamel as well as natural minerals. Or, if you eat sour foods or candies which made from vinegar and lemon, it also causes white spots on teeth.
- Acid reflux: one of the most common but not known causes of white spots on teeth is acid reflux (GERD), your mouth will experience higher levels of acidity than usual. Consequently, it will damage your teeth, causing white spots on teeth.
- Buildup of plaque due to poor oral hygiene: normally, plaque is caused after eating carbohydrates, such as starches and sugar. It is a colorless, sticky film of bacteria and debris. The bacteria produce acidic waste which dissolves the enamel and causes white spots as well as cavities.
- Celiac disease: This is an autoimmune disease impacting a lot of people. The disease causes white spots on teeth, undersized teeth, or yellowing teeth.
- Excessive fluoride: if you consume excessive fluoride, particularly during the development of teeth, you may get white spots on teeth.
- Genetic disorders
- Whitening strips: some whitening strip brands may cause white spots on teeth, particularly if they are used for a few months. Because of acidic feature, overtime, they will de-mineralize the enamel of the tooth.
- Wearing braces: braces do not cause white spots on teeth, yet poor oral hygiene while wearing braces could because braces make your teeth hard to be brushed. Thus, when you remove the braces, these places will appear white spots or tooth decay.
How To Get Rid Of White Spots On Teeth
After getting to know about causes of white spots on teeth, you may wonder how to get rid of them fast and naturally. This article from WikiYeah.com will gather all ways to help you treat your teeth’s white spots effectively. Some of them need to be advised by dentists, and some of them could be made at home.
I. 4 Modern Ways To Get Rid Of White Spots On Teeth Fast
There are a few approaches to help you eradicate white spots; however, the best choice will depend on the severity of your problems and how much it costs to do it. Some options to discuss with your dentist:
The procedure gets involved eliminating a thin layer of the surface enamel, improving the tooth appearance. This method is combined with tooth-whitening methods for high-quality aesthetic.
This approach could help balance the color of your tooth enamel. In order to get the fastest results, you should get professional advice from a dentist because OTC bleaching products or whitening toothpastes are available but the result might take longer, and not as good as expectation, according to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD).
3. Porcelain Veneers
Another way to get rid of white spots on teeth after braces is porcelain veneers. This option will be ideal if you have large patches of discoloration which could not be removed with bleaching. Veneers after being fabricated with a thin layer of ceramic material will be bonded to the front side of your teeth. Minimal structure of teeth will be removed in order to fit the veneer (just no more than 1mm). That way, you will get natural-looking teeth.
4. Composite Restoration
If the white spots on teeth sink under the surface of surrounding enamel which results in a sunken area, then use composite restoration as a way to handle the problem. This approach uses a special kind of resin applied to your teeth over white spots. It will fill in the area in order to be leveled with the rest part of the enamel. The resin could be colored in order to match with the other parts of the tooth.
II. 10 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of White Spots On Teeth Naturally
1. Use Re-Mineralizing Toothpaste
Make yourself homemade re-mineralized toothpaste. That will build tooth enamel and make your teeth healthier and stronger. The recipe of homemade re-mineralized toothpaste here does not contain any chemical at all. Here is the recipe:
- 5 tablespoons of calcium powder
- 3 tablespoons of Xylitol
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of Diatomaceous Earth
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Mint essential oil
- A bowl
- Mix the prepared ingredients together in the bowl
- Stir white adding the prepared coconut oil and a few drops of mint essential oil into
- Store the mixture on a jar, brush your teeth with it twice per day
2. Use Re-Mineralizing Tooth Powder
To get rid of white spots on teeth, instead of using re-mineralizing toothpaste, you could use re-mineralizing tooth powder. The difference between these choices is the main ingredient used – Bentonite Clay.
- 4 tablespoons of Bentonite clay
- 3 tablespoons of calcium powder
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon of cloves powder
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoon of xylitol powder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of mint leaf powder (optional)
- 2-4 drops of peppermint/cinnamon/spearmint oil
- Mix all of the prepared ingredients together, store in a jar
- Use this powder to brush your teeth daily for thrice per day.
3. Use Green Tea
For those who want get rid of white spots on teeth naturally, considering using green tea to rinse their teeth. We all know that green tea is healthy, but it can also supply essential vitamins as well as minerals necessary to mineralize the teeth. Also, it helps you stop the buildup of plaque – one of the most common causes of white spots on teeth.
- A teabag of green tea
- 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves
- 1-2 cups of warm water
- In order to make mouth rinse with green tea, you soak tea leaves or tea leaves into warm water for 5 minutes before taking it out
- After the water cools down a little bit, swill it around the mouth for 1 minute, spit it out
4. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling can mineralize your teeth. It is an approach of getting good oral hygiene for centuries. Use vegetable-based oils for this purpose, such as coconut oil. It can not only help to remove white spots on teeth but also whiten teeth in a natural way.
- 2-3 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 1-2 drops of tea tree oil
- Warm water
- Mix tea tree oil and coconut oil together
- Put the mixture to your mouth and swill it around for 20 minutes
- Spit out and rinse your mouth with warm water
- Brush your teeth with the re-mineralizing toothpaste
Turmeric is good for not only health but also beauty. In the previous posts, we used to discuss how to use turmeric for weight loss, turmeric for arthritis pain, turmeric for eczema and other issues, now for white spots on teeth, you could use this ingredient to get your goal. Turmeric can not only eliminate white spots on teeth but also keep your teeth well protected from cavities.
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Mix the prepared turmeric powder and lemon juice in a bowl, then add ½ teaspoon of salt into
- That way, you will have a rough paste to brush your teeth for about 2minutes
- Rinse off the mouth using warm water
- Repeat this remedy once per day for a few days till the white spots on teeth disappear.
With citric and vitamin C content, you can use lemon to heal damaged teeth. Also, it acts as a whitening agent to help remove the strains from your teeth.
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Mix the prepared ingredients together
- Take a little bit of the mixture on your fingertips to rub it over the affected teeth for about 2-3 minutes
- Rinse your mouth with water
- Repeat the remedy for 2-3 weeks
7. Margosa (Neem)
Neem or margosa is a useful herb used from the ancient time for not only skin care but also dental care. Having anti-bacterial properties, this ingredient is great for dental issues caused by bacteria, such as toothaches, gum bleeding and bad breath. Furthermore, due to astringent property, neem is also effective in removing white spots on teeth.
- 2-3 drops of margosa oil
- Put margosa oil on the toothpaste
- Brush your teeth with this mixture for 2 minutes or so
- Rinse your mouth with water
- Apply this method daily
If you are suffering both white spots on teeth and bad breath, then this is a good solution for you. The basil leaves can work as a natural agent of teeth whitening. Also, it offers you an immediate relief from bleeding gum and bad breath.
- 1 teaspoon of mustard oil
- 4-5 basil leaves
- Blend 4-5 basil leaves in a blender to create a fine paste
- Add mustard oil into and mix them well
- Brush your teeth gently with the paste for 2 minutes
- Rinse your teeth with cold water
- Apply this method every day in the morning
An alternative is using dried basil leaves which are crushed as fine powder to rub over your teeth for 2-3 minutes. Then, wash your mouth with warm water. Do this method twice per week.
9. Banana Peel
Use a ripe banana to remove white spots on teeth. Thanks to the rich content of potassium, manganese, and magnesium, ripe banana act as an effective component for white spot removal. It is definitely a safe method you should try.
- 1 banana peel
- Cut banana peel into slices
- Rub them in your teeth for 1-2 minutes
- Leave the teeth undisturbed for 15 minutes and brush it with the toothpaste
- Rinse off the mouth with water
- Apply this method every morning
Among home remedies for white spots on teeth, charcoal is a good choice but not many of us know about it. It works perfectly to eradicate accumulated plaque from the teeth.
- 1 tablespoon of charcoal powder
- Take charcoal powder to put in a bowl
- Put a wet toothbrush into it and brush your teeth with that mixture
- Do this method twice per week to decrease white spots on your teeth.
How To Prevent White Spots On Teeth
It is said that the best way to prevent white spots on teeth is to properly brush and floss. You should choose tooth-healthy foods and drinks. In general, if you can follow these healthy habits, you can protect your teeth from white spots:
- Avoid drinking soda
- Limit your snacks
- Brush with plain water after eating
- Floss nightly
- Eat calcium-rich food
- Avoid drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes
- Visit your dentist every six months
- Use prescription-strength fluoride that has been proven to decrease cavities in children
Now, you have gotten home remedies for white spots on teeth which do not cost so much. Go ahead and grab some ingredients to make your own re-mineralizing tooth paste so you can get beautiful smile in no time.