Asthma is serious and should be discussed with your doctor. However, before you resort commercial medications, you should consider some home remedies for asthma attacks. The following remedies can help you reduce the frequency and severity of your asthma attacks, helping your manage the symptoms whenever they happen.
You may want to learn: signs and symptoms of asthma.
This article, you will learn:
When it comes to home remedies for asthma, ginger gets the top recommended. Containing certain components such as shogaols, gingerols, and zingerones – all of them act as anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant and analgesic, helping relieve you from asthma symptoms.
• Mix ginger juice, pomegranate juice and honey (in equal amount) together. Stir them well. Take one tablespoon of this mixture twice or thrice per day. Do it daily.
• Or, mix one teaspoon of ginger with a half cup of water. Drink it daily before your bedtime. Do it daily.
• Take 1 inch of ginger to cut it into small pieces. Add them to one glass of boiling water. Stir them up for 5 minutes. Let it cool. Drink it up.
• Mix ginger juice, honey and fenugreek seeds soaked in water overnight with the ratio of 1:1:2. Drink the mixture daily in the morning and evening.
Honey consists of alcohol along with ethereal oil, helping remove phlegm in your throat and relieve you from asthma symptoms. Similar to ginger, you can combine honey with hot water (or cinnamon powder) and drink the mixture up. Or, you can inhale the smell produced by a jar of honey. [Read: benefits of honey water]
3. Garlic / Onions
Garlic could help clear the congestion in your lungs and acts as anti-inflammatory.
You can boil 10-15 cloves of garlic in ½ cup of milk. After that, let the mixture cool down and drink it once per day to get natural relief from asthma.
Or, you can take 3-4 cloves of garlic to crush them out. Add them to one glass of hot water. Allow it to steep it for about 5 minutes, let it cool and drink it once per day.
The same benefits and guidelines go for onions regarding asthma treatment. [Read: interesting uses of garlic]
Another remedies out of top home remedies for asthma is figs. This can help you cure asthma naturally thanks to the property of draining phlegm, improving respiratory and lessening breathing trouble.
Take 3 dried figs, wash and soak them in one cup of water overnight. The next morning, you eat those soaked fig, drink the fig water on your empty stomach. Do this method a few times per day to relieve your problem
Thanks to the high content of selenium and magnesium, mustard can help in clearing the respiratory passages, making your breathe easily.
Take a small amount of mustard oil, heat it by adding camphor. Allow it to cool down for several minutes, apply this method a few times per day. Alternatively, make use of it in cooking. [Read: home natural remedies for allergies]
Containing vitamin C that can improve the immune system and make it more resistant, lemons could keep your lungs stronger and pleasure for breathing. Also, lemon juice can act as anti-septic and anti-oxidant, helping kill off the bacteria and decrease inflammation resulted by asthma.
Take one fresh lemon, cut it into half. Take the juice from the pieces. Add the juice into one glass of water, mix it well (add sugar or honey into it if you love). Drink the mixture daily. [Read: health and beauty uses of lemon]
Regarding home remedies for asthma attacks, turmeric is well-known due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, it could help clear the mucus within the lungs and also help you breath better.
Mix turmeric powder with warm milk. Drink this mixture daily, thrice per day, to control your asthma’s symptoms and frequency.
8. Cheese Cloth
If you take a fine cheese cloth to put it into your bedroom, it can help filter dust in your room, like pollen, dust particles, animal dander, and so on. Use a commercial filter to help cleanse your home as well.
Due the great content of vitamin B12 that can help lessen asthma symptoms, and probiotics that could reduce inflammation along with digestion improvement, consuming yogurt could help you control your asthma attacks. To get good result, consume 2 cups of yogurt each day.
10. Chili Pepper
By having spicy food such as chili peppers, you can open up your airways, thus stimulating the fluid in your throat, mouth and lungs. Also, this will thin out the mucus and eliminate via cough, letting your breathe easily.
Because diet plays a crucial part in asthma treating; hence, in addition to the home remedies for asthma attacks above, you should follow some diet tips below:
• Eat omega-3 fatty acid-rich foods like salmon, cod, fishes, sardines, mackerel, tuna, walnuts, linseeds, and canola. These foods could help reduce inflammation, particularly in your airways.
• Eat berries and apples – the fruits rich in quercetin which is beneficial in relieving asthma attacks
• Consume more foods rich in both vitamin C and E to boost your lung function and reduce asthma symptoms.
• Avoid alcohol, cool juices, and smoking when your asthma attacks as they includes sulfites which might worsen your problem
• Avoid dried veggies as well as fruits such as apricots, pineapple, raisins, maraschino, and cherries to reduce the odds of asthma attacks.
• Cover your mouth and nose when it is extremely dust, cold or dry air because it might trigger your problem.
In summary, by changing your current lifestyle for the better, you can take control of your asthma naturally. Of course, it is known that asthma could not be completely cured, but it could be controlled if you follow the guidelines above.
Tags: home remedies for asthma attacks, natural remedies for asthma, home cures for asthma, asthma treatment.