Wisdom teeth often appear between the ages of 17 to 25, sometimes even later in one’s life. Called third molards, they are the most posterior teeth in each of the four quadrants of the mouth.
And, because wisdom teeth often are the last ones to come in, so they might not have enough space in the mouth to develop appropriately. They might push or even get stuck against other teeth and develop at an angle under the gum. Whether your wisdom tooth makes you wise or not is a separate matter for debate yet your wisdom tooth will give you intense pain for sure. Bacteria might also grow around this affected wisdom tooth and enhance your problems. What is more irritating is that the wisdom tooth pain, most of the time, happens at night when a person falls asleep and suddenly he or she wakes up because of throbbing unbearable pain in the mouth. Of course, at those wee hours, no dentist will be available and all what you can do is to resort some home remedies for wisdom tooth pain and swelling relief. Check out the list below, collected by Wikiyeah.com!
Home Remedies For Wisdom Tooth Pain – Relieve Wisdom Tooth Pain Naturally
The first one in the list of home remedies for wisdom tooth pain you should use is clove. When there are no commercially available anesthetics such as Benzocaine, dentists resorted clove oil or clove gel to numb the pain and swelling from wisdom tooth growth. Because clove has anesthetic, analgesic, antiseptic and antibacterial properties, perfect for giving relief from horrible tooth pain. All of these properties are thanks to the natural component eugenol. Eugenol is the active ingredient in most of the modern dental medicines too. There are many ways to use clove to relieve wisdom tooth pain, which are:
- Take 1 to 3 whole cloves of clove and hold them in the mouth, close to the aching area in several minutes. By that way, cloves will release their essential oil into the mouth. A feeling of numb should be feel when you applying this. Because the whole spice will become softer, so chewing it solely can help you get more eugenol from it.
- Take several drops of clove essential oil with the assistance of a cotton ball, keep it gently yet firmly against the aching wisdom tooth. Apply this oil using the clean finger tip. If you feel, clove oil will become too strong for the mouth, dilute it in a half of teaspoon of olive oil before applying it to the aching tooth.
- Alternatively, you can use ground clove powder to relieve the pain caused by wisdom tooth. Apply a pinch of clove powder where it pains within your mouth; wait for it to get dissolve.
However, you should remember that there will be a little burning sensation while applying clove oil in your mouth. If the sensation is in too intense or at the level in which you could not tolerate it, then you might be allergic to eugenol. That case, you need to rinse the mouth with water instantly. Clove oil is safe if used in small amount, it might lead to respiratory or liver issues if you ingest the oil in large amount.
In the list of home remedies for wisdom tooth pain, onion gets a good feedback. Onion, as we all know, could relieve inflammation as well as joint pain because of arthritis, but it is also able to relieve pain and swelling resulted by toothache. Thanks to the phytochemicals like trisulfides, disulfides, vinyl dithiins, and ceparne, which have antimicrobial and anticancer properties, onion could kill the germs causing infection in the mouth, giving you natural relief from pain. Fact is, the more pungent the onion is, the more effective it could be. Yellow, shallots, and red onions are much more effective than the sweet and white onions in terms of pain relieving qualities.
There are 3 basic ways to use onions for wisdom tooth pain relief, including:
- Take a slice of raw onion and then chew it, spreading the juice to the affected area in your mouth
- If the pain is too much and you could not chew the slice of onion, then you can hold it gently yet firmly against the aching area
- Crush to extract the juice of the onion before applying the juice to your pain [Read: home remedies for a toothache]