Many of you have some oral problems. It is popular to see a white coating on your tongue when you open your mouth. Maybe it is an indication of disease but don’t worry, it isn’t that serious in most cases. Because white tongue is formed by dead cells, bacteria, food debris, etc when we eat or drink. White tongue might be caused by some factors such as dehydration, dry mouth, infection or illness, poor oral hygiene, fever, candida yeast infection, alcohol use, smoking or the use of tobacco, spicy food like jalapeno peppers and habanero. Among them, the most common cause of white tongue is dry mouth or dehydration, which is a breeding ground for harmful bacteria.
It is harmless and usually disappears after several weeks. However, this problem can lead to bad breath and you may want to get rid of it. There are 14 simple ways on how to get rid of white tongue coating at home you can do it yourself as follows. Take a look from WikiYeah.com!
How To Get Rid Of White Tongue Coating At Home – 14 Home Remedies
When it comes to learning how to get rid of white tongue, probiotics is a good solution. Priobiotics are used to eliminate the yeast and prevent it from coming back. According to a study in the “Journal of Dental Research”, people who used probiotics had a reduction in the risk of high yeast counts by about 75%. An imbalance of the healthy bacteria in your own gut could result in oral thrush in white tongue condition. Eating probiotic-rich foods can balance the bacteria in your gut and treat health issues related to candida.  
2. How To Get Rid Of White Tongue – Oral Hygiene Improvement
Yes, we brush our teeth at least once daily. But are you doing it correctly? And which is the best way to cut down the amount of bacteria in your mouth? The answer is you should brush both your teeth and tongue with your toothbrush. Many people have the habit of brushing only their teeth and never do that with their tongue. That is the cause of more and more white coating on your tongue. Therefore, you’d better remember to scrub your tongue gently with or without toothpaste daily. This will help reduce dead cells, bacteria, food residue… which are trapped on your tongue. This is the first way to improve oral hygiene.
Another way is that you use a tongue scaper. It is easy to buy a scaper in supermarket or dental shop. It is also easy to use. All you have to do is putting it on your tongue, pressing a little, scaping from back to front, thoroughly but softly. Then rinse out your mouth with water to clear up dead cells, bacteria and debris.
The third method is using an antiseptic mouthwash as a complement to your daily oral hygiene routine. If you don’t like the taste of mouthwash, you can replace by salt water. By dissolving 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water, you have a supportive dental hygiene every day. In order to have the best result while gargling, you should close your mouth to keep the mouthrinse inside, tilt your head back and start swishing around for one – two minutes without swallowing and spit out the water at last. The benefit of antiseptic mouthwash and salt water are to temporarily heighten the PH balance of your mouth, then create an alkaline environment where growing germs need to struggle for their survival. So using these kinds of mouthrinse often can help you protect against harmful bacteria.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a cheap remedy to remove white coat from your tongue. Thanks to its exfoliating nature, you can clear remains sticking to your tongue. In addition, it helps neutralize acids in the mouth by its maintenance of good pH level. How can we use baking soda to make white coating go away?
- Blend a little baking soda and lemon juice to form a paste.
- Use this paste on your toothbrush to gently brush your tongue.
- After finishing, gargle your mouth with water.
- Do this once a day until you feel satisfied with the results.
You can also mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. If you use this mouthwash twice a day, it will be very effective in treating white tongue and bad breath.
4. How To Get Rid Of White Tongue – Salt
Using table salt is one of great ways on how to get rid of white tongue. Salt has a coarse nature that works as a natural tongue scraper to eliminate dead cells and debris. Moreover, thanks to anti-septic property, salt can kill bacteria that cause bad breath. To make use of salt for white tongue coating, you should follow steps below:
- Sprinkle a small amount of salt on your tongue, use a toothbrush to scrub gently for a few minutes.
- Rinse it off thoroughly with lukewarm water
- Re-apply this routine twice per day till you get good results
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt into 3 oz. of warm water.
- Gargle your mouth with this solution for about 45 seconds and spit out after that
- Repeat this routine 1-2 times per day
5. Coconut Oil Pulling
Among tips on how to get rid of white tongue coating, coconut oil pulling is reckoned one of the best. This tip can eradicate bacteria from your mouth and is commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine. Experts in Ayurvedic medicine claim that oil pulling can purify the whole system, because it helps hold each section of the tongue connected to other organs of the body. The oil will flush toxins and debris out of your mouth and form a clean, antiseptic oral environment. Oil pulling is said to be as effective as mouthwash at improving oral health and decreasing microorganisms which might cause the formation of bacteria within your mouth and white tongue as well.
Despite you could use either sesame oil or olive oil, coconut oil has a lot of benefits, that is why it is recommended for the oil pulling method. This type of oil is very absorbable and powerful in killing candida. To do coconut oil pulling for getting rid of white tongue coating, follow the guidelines below:
- Swish 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth for 15 minutes or so
- Spit it out and rinse it off with warm water, use your toothbrush to brush your teeth normally
6. Sea Salt
Sea salt has a variety of benefits and one of the most famous is antibacterial properties. Gargling your mouth with this ingredient when combined with water will eradicate the debris and bacteria causing white tongue. Moreover, sea salt’s coarse texture can work as an exfoliant, thereby helping eliminate the coating on your tongue.
Sea salt is not like table salt that undergoes so much processing. Instead, sea salt has many healthful trace minerals as well as elements that could maintain appropriate fluid balance in the cells of your body.
- Mix sea salt with water to make a mouthwash
- Use this solution to gargle your mouth, and brush your teeth and tongue as well with sea salt.
7. Aloe Vera
This is another suggestion in regard to learning how to get rid of white tongue coating. Aloe vera, with its anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, contains many enzymes that can remove dead cells and boost the generation of skin tissue. In order to get rid of white tongue, you can take the steps below:
- Swish 1 tablespoon of aloe vera in your mouth 2-3 times per day
- Do it till the coating disappears
8. Vegetable Glycerin
Another tried-and-tested home treatment for those who are looking for tips on how to get rid of white tongue is vegetable glycerin. It is particularly effective when your problem’s cause is the dry mouth. Vegetable glycerin could also remove bad breath. You can find vegetable glycerin in health food stores.
- Place some vegetable glycerin on the tongue
- Brush your tongue lightly using a soft-bristle toothbrush
- Rinse off your mouth with warm water
- Repeat this twice per day till your tongues gets its normal color
9. How To Get Rid Of White Tongue – Hydrogen Peroxide
Having strong antibacterial property, hydrogen peroxide can kill bacteria accumulated on the tongue’s surface. In turns, this helps treat white tongue coating. Moreover, you can also use hydrogen peroxide for whitening teeth effectively. To use this ingredient for oral health, you should choose the 3% hydrogen peroxide. What you need to do is:
- Mix hydrogen peroxide with water as the ratio of 1:2
- Put a soft toothbrush into the solution and scrape the tongue
- After 1-2 minutes, spit it out before rinsing it off with water
- Do this method once per day for 4-5 days
Caution: Avoid swallowing hydrogen peroxide.
Consumption of yogurt serves as a great coated tongue treatment because of the probiotics available in yogurt can eliminate this nasty issue. In fact, the acidophilus bacteria in yogurt are highly beneficial in restoring the microbial balance in the human body. It helps hamper the growth of candida fungus. To make use of yogurt for white coated tongue, you can follow the steps below:
- Apply 2 tablespoons of yogurt on your clean tongue at night before going to sleep
- That way, you will get a “harmful bacteria” free and clean tongue.
Or, you can also consume a 1/2 bowl of yogurt daily to boost your treating process.
Turmeric is one of the most effective tips on how to get rid of white tongue. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic property, turmeric could remove white patches and spots on your tongue. The antibacterial property of turmeric also prevents the growth of bacteria on your tongue. To take advantage of turmeric to get rid of white tongue, you can do the methods below:
- Mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder with about 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Rub the mixture over your white coated tongue for 4-5 minutes
- Rinse it off with warm water and repeat it daily to take back your tongue’s natural pink color
Method 2: Gargle with turmeric solution
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder to 1 glass of water
- Gargle with this solution for 1-2 times per day
- Follow this routine regularly until the white patches on your tongue disappear completely.
12. How To Get Rid Of White Tongue – Tea Tree Oil
This is an excellent treatment for white tongue because of the antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. Tea tree oil is very effective in treating many types of infection, including the oral thrush in the mouth and throat. This ingredient can inhibit the painful symptom of oral thrush such as cracked skin in the mouth corners, trouble swallowing, a bad taste in the mouth, and white spots and patches on tongue as well as side of the mouth. 
Take the following steps:
- Just simply add 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil to 1 glass of tepid water
- Use this solution as a mouthwash by swishing it around your mouth for 3 minutes, spit it out
- Do this daily twice or thrice per day to eliminate white spots on your patches
Caution: The inside area of your mouth could be rather sensitive, so you need to dilute tea tree oil first before using it.
Also known as Neem, Lilac is one of popular home remedies to get rid of white tongue, in addition to other illnesses. Lilac is jam-packed with anti-fungal and antibacterial effects that are effective in removing bacteria, yeast, and fungus from the mouth. Also, it is a good blood purifier which could eliminate toxins out of your body.
- Add 1 tablespoon of dried Neem leaves to 1 cup of water
- Boil it up till it remains ½ the initial amount
- Allow it to cool off and gargle with this mixture
- Rinse your mouth with warm water after that
- Do this twice per day for several weeks to remove white tongue
Caution: However, because of the blood purifying ability of lilac, if you are taking a blood thinner, avoid using this ingredient.
14. How To Get Rid Of White Tongue – Colloidal Silver
If the white patches on your tongue are because of the excessive yeast growth , then choosing colloidal silver as a solution. This is because colloidal silver has natural antimicrobial, antibiotic and antifungal properties. Moreover, it is safe for internal taking and also treats your bad breath. 
- Dilute 3-4 teaspoons of colloidal silver to ¼ cup of water
- Swish this solution in your mouth for 3-5 minutes
- Spit it out after that and use warm water to rinse your mouth
- Repeat this routine twice or thrice per day to eliminate the white coating on your tongue.
These above methods are to use for painless white tongue. If you are having a white-coating on your tongue for more than two weeks, along with pain, inflammation or other similar symptoms, consult a doctor immediately.