Recent years, our world has to cope with a lot of disasters, coming in different situations such as Floods, Earthquakes, Tornados, and Airplane Crashes (like MH 370 and MH17 these days, you know). If there are only moments to spare, you need to know how to react to everything, from a flood to hurricane, from an earthquake to a tornado. Then, what should you in such cases? Check out these tips on how to survive a disaster that can help you prepare beforehand for your family’s survival.
I. How To Survive A Disaster – Natural Disasters
When an earthquake happens, you should crawl under a sturdy table and cover your own face as well as head with the arms. Then, avoid standing close to windows and large bureaus or bookcases as they might fall. In case you are trapped under the debris, you should cover the mouth with a shirt or cloth, and tap against a certain object to make noise. However, do not yell as you might inhale dangerous dust. If possible, you should leave the building once the shaking stops. Finally, if you are outdoors during the earthquake, just steer clear of those buildings as well as utility wires.
If you hear a storm warning, then you had better tune to a NOAA weather radio for the tornado alerts. In case the alert comes, it is better for you to seek refuge in the basement or go to the emergency shelter. If there is no other option, the last resort is the lowest floor of your house. When you are in a car, you should get out of it and seek shelter indoors. Remember to cover your head with your hands to reduce the risk of head injuries. Avoid corners, doors, or windows. Also, get under the sturdy table and make sure that you are dressed and have shoes on.
Another case is how to survive a disaster like a flood? If a flash-flood warning is issued, your task is to move to the higher ground instantly. Yet, do not wait to gather your belongings. In most floods, avoid downed powerlines or moving water. As the estimation, six inches of moving water could make pedestrians fall, whilst a foot will float most vehicles.
If possible, shut down the power at the main switches in your house and disconnect any electrical appliances. Then, move those essential and valuable items to a higher floor. Avoid touching the electrical equipment if you are standing in water or wet.
Pay attention to evacuation orders. Shut off utilities. If you are staying in your home, then turn off gaslines as well as fill your tub with water. Secure the storm, move to the interior room before closing all doors.
II. How To Survive A Disaster – Other Disasters
- Plane Crash
Commercial airlines around the world recently carry nearly 2.5 billion
passengers per year. And, plan crash – it is every air traveler’s nightmare. Sudden turbulence throws you backward. You are losing altitude rapidly and your own seatbelt is jammed between seats. People cream, pray and clutch each other when the aircraft descends downward at such as improbable angle. At that time, you think you will die. Nevertheless, a plane crash does not necessarily mean certain death. There are some things you could do to increase your odds of surviving in a disaster like an airplane crash. Here they are:
- After you board, find the two closest exits and count the rows between your seat and them. In the condition of darkness or smoke, you need to feel the seats and count until you reach the exit row.
- Be ready for a sudden impact. Extend the arms, cross the hands, place them on the seat that is in front of you, then place your head against your hand’s back. Tuck the feet under the seat as far as you could. If there is no seat in front of you, then bend your upper body over with the head down and wrap the arms behind the knees. Always stow your bag under the seat in front of you in order to block the area.
- Wear long pants, sleeves, as well as closed-toed shoes. That way, you will protect yourself from glass, elements, and metals.
- If you go with your family, then talk to your family, especially children, about what need to do in an emergency. Well divide the responsibility of helping your children between your partner and you. It is much easier for a parent to help a child than trying to keep everyone together.
- Heed to the preflight guidelines because all planes are rather different. When you have the oxygen mask, put it on you before trying to help someone else. Fact is, if you fall unconscious, you cannot help your own travel mate.
- When there is a fire happening towards your plane, then stay as low as you could and then get out as fast as possible. The fumes as well as smoke from a burning aircraft are very toxic and even can kill you than the flames.
- Remember that it is noted that the first 90 seconds of an airplane crash are the “GOLDEN TIME” for survival. If you can keep calm and move fast in this period of time, then you will have a good chance to get out of the airplane.
- If you can get out of the plane, go far away from the plane as possible and tuck behind a large object to prevent an explosion.
- Avoid drink alcohol before and during the flight as this might slow your natural response time or cloud your skills of decision making.
- Never try to take your carry-on luggage with you during an emergency regardless of its value.
- A Plague
Learning how to survive a disaster also include learning to survive a plague. Plague is a potentially fatal disease which is resulted from exposure to a certain dangerous bacteria that could be transmitted to humans through fleas, rodents, and even the air. The tips below are what you should follow when it comes to learning how to survive a disaster like a plague:
- Avoid contacting with dead or sick animals. In case you must deal with a dead animal, then the first thing you need to do is to protect your eyes, face, and hands with goggles, a mask, and gloves in order to avoid contracting diseases.
- Avoid dealing with rodent droppings. Rats or mice could carry plague as well as other diseases in their own feces. In case your house is infested with rats or mice, then finding a manner to humanely handle with the problem and make sure to thoroughly clean the floors, the counter tops, or other surfaces which the rodents might have excreted on.
- Avoid fleas. In reality, the most popular manner to get a plague is to be bitten by a flea which has bitten any infected animal. If there are fleas in your own house, you should flush out all of them instantly and prevent bites by using the insect repellent which includes oil DEET.
- Wash your hands with soap. This good habit will not only help you maintain a good personal hygiene but also help you prevent illnesses and plague. Moreover, it is very important for you to wash your hands before and also after handling food, after using the toilet, and after contacting with animals. Avoid touching your hands at your eyes, mouth and nose if you do not need to do so.
- Survive In The Wild
In some cases, you ever find yourself stranded in the wild, then having some basic knowledge can do a great different between life and death. These are the instructions that can help you stay out of harm way:
- Decide what to do. Just rapidly think about most possible options in order to decide what the most suitable survival course of action will be. For instance, if seeking out help from civilization is your option, then you should not wait 4-5 days to decide this option. Take action instantly while you still maintain endurance and strength. Time goes and you will lose your advantages
- Prepare your shelter. You can build the shelter with branches from bamboo and with rope. Build an angular shape with them. You should use a large number of branches in order to get the stability as well as protection against the weather and wind. In case you are in the harsh environment like a desert, then building an underground shade shelter will be your best choice. This will help you avoid sun exposure and avoid sweating.
Other ideas contain a lean-to and a bog-bed. For example, to build a lean-to, you need something so solid such as a large rock or a log. Lay long branches against the log thickly, and criss-cross small branches plush with shrubbery on the top of it to get sufficient insulation. Remember that the smaller the shelter is, the better it will insulate you.
- Make fire to stay warm. To start the fire, use the lenses of the magnifying glass. Use dry sticks and wood. The best types of wood to start a fire are fuel, kindling, and tinder. Take two separate piece of the dry wood, sharpen one of them before using it to drill into the left one. Then, place a certain flammable things next to the drill bit. When the object quickly catches the spark, you use a rock to quickly swiftly tip the object onto a nest of dry bark or leaves.
- Carve a knife to hunt. Take a rock and break off the edges before using another rock together with water and sharpen. In the night, start the fire to protect yourself from dangerous animals like tigers, bears, or lions.
- Find water during the initial days. Before you become dehydrated, you had better find a source of water. The signs of dehydration might be dry tongue, dark-brown urine, and burning throat. Actually, the human just can survive for maximum 3 days without drinking water.
- Get rescued. To be rescued, you should create a smoke signal. Use the live branches to set the fire, this will create smoke.
To conclude, all of the tips on how to survive a disaster above offer the simplest steps you could follow in order to survive in a disaster. Hope that you have gotten some useful information to prepare yourself and your family for surviving in any upcoming disaster.
If you have any idea about my writing, leave your comments below and I will answer all soon.