It is estimated that about 44% of Americans suffer from heartburn at least once per month, with about 7% of them suffering from the condition daily. Another common stomach problem is acid reflux which is also referred as GERD (gastro esophageal reflux) is a stomach disorder in which the acids in stomach and food are regurgitated into oesophagus, therefore causing burning sensation in the lower chest. The pain within the lower chest is associated with other signs and symptoms like bloating, snoring, belching, sore throat and trouble breathing. This condition might be triggered by a wide range of things, such as spicy or fatty foods, citrus fruits or juice, and chocolates.
You can totally choose a natural treatment for your mild condition instead of an OTC antacid the next time you suffer from that burning sensation within your chest. And, the most common used ingredient is baking soda.
So, can baking soda stop heartburn? Baking soda is a natural antacid that has been proven to supply an immediate relief from acid reflux and heartburn. It can help neutralize the acidity within your stomach, therefore averting the regurgitation of acids. Additionally, being an alkaline substance, baking soda also the possibility of stomach contents moving back into your oesophagus. As a result, it decreases the burning sensation in your chest and throat associated with this problem. On the other hand, baking soda plays a role in maintaining the balance of pH level in your blood stream, reducing the acidity of the stomach contents and therefore decreasing the occurrence of heartburn and acid reflux.
Now, you may want to know how to use baking soda for heartburn and acid reflux, right? There are different ways to use baking soda for acid reflux and heartburn. Follow the steps here to make use of this ingredient effectively! Take a look from WikiYeah!
How To Use Baking Soda For Heartburn And Acid Refux – 4 Effective Ways
1. Combine Baking Soda With Water
- Take ½ – 1 teaspoon of baking soda to add in 1 glass of water and stir them well
- Drink it to prevent acid reflux
If you regularly use baking soda, it can help clear acid reflux and supports in improving digestion.
Note: you should not take baking soda when you suffer from regular acid reflux attacks as baking soda is high in salt, thereby causing some secondary effects, such as nausea, swelling and high blood pressure.
2. Combine Diluted Baking Soda With Honey
- You can also take 1 teaspoon of baking soda to add in 1 cup of warm water.
- After that, add 1 tsp of honey to it, stir it well to make sure that baking soda has been dissolved entirely in the water
- This process will help decrease the burning sensation and also relieve acid reflux.
- Repeat this process whenever you suffer from acid reflux
3. Combine Baking Soda With Lemon
Another way on how to use baking soda for heartburn and acid reflux is to combine it with lemon.
- Take ½ tsp of baking soda and several drops of fresh lemon juice to add 1 cup of warm water
- Mix them well and drink this solution whenever you suffer from acid reflux.
- Continually do this routine till your problem disappears
4. Combine Baking Soda With Apple Cider Vinegar
When it comes to methods on how to use baking soda for heartburn, combining it with apple cider vinegar is a great idea. Here’re steps to follow:
- Take 2 tbsp of ACV, ¼ tsp of baking soda, and 200 mg of water to mix with a proper amount of water
- Mix them well till they dissolve well
- Drink the solution twice or thrice per day on your empty stomach for no more than 5 days
In case your acid reflux condition is serious, then mix 2 tbsp of baking soda and 2 tbsp of ACV in water. Take this mixture twice or thrice per day to get a final relief from your problem.
If when mixing baking soda and ACV together, you see a lot of bubbles, then you should mix them in the larger pitcher and pour ACV slowly in order to avoid bubbling.
- While baking soda can help combat acid reflux or heartburn, it is not always perfect for all acid reflux sufferers. For those on a low sodium diet, they should not use baking soda to treat heartburn and acid reflux as baking soda contains a special form of sodium. Baking soda might also raise your blood pressure, especially when you are sensitive to sodium or are prehypertensive.
- In addition, this treatment also interacts with some other medications. Therefore, it is better to take advice from your doctor before using this ingredient.
- Baking soda might decrease the levels of vitamins as well as minerals within your body, particularly folic acid, vitamin B, and chromium. That is why it is recommended to take baking soda on an empty stomach or one hour before or 3 hours after eating, not on a full stomach.
- Do not be confused between baking powder and baking soda. They are different from each other.
- Absolutely do not give baking soda to children under 5 years old. For aged people, do not get over 3 glasses. For adults, do not use more than seven ½ teaspoon-servings of baking soda or over 6 glasses within 24 hours if you are over 60. And, do not take it continually for over 2 weeks.
While many people have made use of baking soda to cure their heartburn or acid reflux or other health problems, it is still crucial to consult a doctor before using baking soda for your problem.
Some information in this entry is referred from WebMD and Top10Homeremedies.