Baking soda has been well-known for its versatile uses. Basically, baking soda is an alkaline powder which is used in various cleaning applications. One of them is teeth whitening. When it contacts with water, baking soda will release the free radicals attacking teeth stains and remove discoloration resulted from various food sources as well as tobacco.
Using baking soda is considered as a safe and efficient way to brush the teeth. The fact is that if you chronically use baking soda, you will get troubled some alarming problems developing in your mouth.
Thus, knowing how to use baking soda to whiten teeth correctly is a crucial part of long term oral health. If you want to know how to use baking soda to whiten teeth properly, read this article first. Here, from Wikiyeah.com, we introduce to you some of the most useful options for brushing your teeth with baking soda and the steps to do each option. Some information in this article is referred from WebMD and WikiHow. Take a quick look!
How To Use Baking Soda To Whiten Teeth Properly – 7 Effective Recipes And Precautions
1. Baking Soda & Water
This is the simplest way on how to use baking soda to whiten teeth properly. Here are steps:
• Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda with a few drops of water to create a paste which can be applied easily
• You can use either your finger or your toothbrush to apply the paste over your teeth
• Apply directly the paste over the stain your want to remove, let it set for 2 minutes
• Brush in a normal way
• Work from quadrant to quadrant within your mouth for 1- 2 minutes (no more). Rinse the mouth thoroughly after that
• Give your toothbrush a thorough rinse as well
It is common to experience a slight sensation of tingling yet if you experience an uncomfortable burning sensation, stop it.
2. Baking Soda & Lemon / Vinegar
Either vinegar or lemon can bring the similar effects to your teeth if combined with baking soda. Here are steps:
• Dissolve the baking soda within water, add several drops of fresh lemon juice or white vinegar along with a dash of salt
• Take your toothbrush and dip it into the solution
• Brush as usual for 2 minutes
• Rinse both your mouth and your toothbrush thoroughly
If you want to remove vinegar taste, you could also brush your teeth with regular toothpaste.
3. Baking Soda & Hydrogen Peroxide
Containing whitening and bleaching effects, hydrogen peroxide (the 3% type which is safe for oral use) could be combined with baking soda to create a good solution to whiten teeth. Here are steps:
• Dip your toothbrush into the hydrogen peroxide
• After that, dip that toothbrush into baking soda to boost the effect of whitening
• Brush your teeth for 2 minutes and rinse your mouth thoroughly with water
4. Baking Soda & Toothpaste
Another way on how to use baking soda to whiten teeth is mix it with your daily toothpaste. Here are steps:
• Mix a proper amount of baking soda with your toothpaste to create a good paste
• Apply it to your toothbrush
• After 2 minutes (no more) of brushing your teeth, you rinse thoroughly your mouth
2 minutes are enough to remove plaque, fresh breath and white your pearls.
5. Baking Soda & Salt
You can also take a popular ingredient in your kitchen – salt – to combine with baking soda to whiten your teeth. The abrasive effect of salt will promote the plaque removal as well as whitening effect.
Here are steps:
• Mix table salt and baking soda with the ratio of 1:3.
• Use this mixture to brush or use a small cloth to apply it over your teeth, helping remove tough stains
• Rinse your teeth thoroughly
6. Baking Soda, Glycerin, Peppermint Extract
When it comes to methods on how to use baking soda to whiten teeth, peppermint extract and glycerin can be a good contributor. Mix these ingredients will create a fresh tasting solution. Here are steps:
• Mix 3 teaspoons of vegetable glycerin with several drops of peppermint extract (peppermint oil)
• After that, add ½ teaspoon of salt plus with 5 teaspoons of baking soda to it. Mix them well.
• Apply it on your toothbrush and brush for 2 minutes
• Rinse your mouth thoroughly
7. Baking Soda & Strawberries
Because strawberries have whitening properties, combining baking soda with them will be a good idea to whiten your teeth at home. Here are steps:
• Mash 1 fresh, ripe strawberry into one pulp, and mix it with baking soda to create a good paste
• Add that paste onto the toothbrush and brush for no more 2 minutes
• Wash your mouth thoroughly with water to remove entirely the paste
Some Precautions When Using Baking Soda To Whiten Teeth:
• Repeat Every Other Day: You had better repeat the methods introduced in this article every other day for 1-2 weeks to get good results. That way, you will realize a slight difference in the brightness of your pearls after several days and a significant difference after a few weeks.
• Do not over use baking soda as it might damage the enamel on the teeth. This might also result in sensitivity and enhanced risk of developing cavities.
• Baking soda can remove plaque yet does not kill any bacteria and that could really increase cavity formation within your teeth. That is why you should remain brush regular toothpaste.
• Baking soda may also weaken the adhesive for people wearing braces or experience long term dental appliances. This could lead to darker spots on your teeth.
• If you use baking soda now and then, it is generally safe, yet another choice is to try other toothbrush brands with mild abrasives.
• Do not scrub vigorously and 2 minutes of brushing is long enough and could prevent excessive wear on the gums and enamel.
There, you have discovered 6 most effective but simple to know how to use baking soda to whiten teeth. Follow the instructions properly otherwise you may damage your oral health.