Has been used medically for many centuries, ginger is probably the most well-known for the ability of soothing stomach upset and nausea. Obviously, this is the best home natural remedy for nausea that most of us know. However, now research has suggested that this natural ingredient might supply help for many problems, including heart health, arthritis pain, asthma and more. Even, it might be useful for weight control.
In this series of “how to use ginger for…”, I will introduce to you articles about ways to use ginger for many health problems, which I have mentioned above. This article will focus on how to use ginger for asthma.
Before you get to know the most effective methods on how to use ginger for asthma, you had better acknowledge some basic information about ginger.
How To Use Ginger For Asthma – Is Ginger Good For Asthma Sufferers?
Thanks to the anti-inflammatory properties, ginger is used for pain relief for many centuries, such as knee pain relief, muscle and joint pain, and more. Apart from many health benefits of ginger, here are some reasons why ginger is good for asthma:
• For asthma sufferers, the benefits of ginger show through its potent antioxidant activity. The compounds (gingerols, shogaols, and zingerones) in ginger are believed to have the analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties which are similar to those of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger could help reduce symptoms of asthma naturally. For treating this disease, you could use ginger in raw, fresh forms or dry form in which all the gingers forms have similar medicinal properties.
• As ginger could help promote bronchodilation, it might supply a safer alternative to current medications available on the market. Whilst asthma is considered as a serious condition which could be fatal if a sufferer is not treated, asthma medications carry side effects.
• Ginger provides a therapeutic application in the allergic asthma treatment. This helps decrease the inflammation as well as swelling in sufferers’ respiratory passages to eliminate asthma.
• Ginger can normalize your airways so you can get proper breathing.
• Ginger acts as an expectorant by eradicating the phlegm which leads to itchiness in your throat. It relaxes your airways, thereby giving a cooling feeling in the chest.
• It helps suppress the Th2 mediated immune response, which refers to an attack of the immune system against foreign invaders and therefore results in health issues like asthma.
So, go back to the main topic: how to use ginger for asthma. Well, there are many ways you could use ginger for treating asthma at home, but most of them could not work effectively without proper instructions. Here, we from WikiYeah.com give your detailed steps to use this simple ingredient to treat your problem. Some information in this article is referred from WebMD and Top10Homeremedies.
How To Use Ginger For Asthma – 7 Recipes And Precautions
1. Ginger Only
The simplest method on how to use ginger for asthma is use this ingredient alone.
• Cut a small washed raw ginger piece into many small pieces and crush it to create juice
• Add a little salt to the juice
• Stir it well
• Consume the mixture to relieve asthma symptoms
• You could also sprinkle some ginger pieces into your salads, soups, bread and gravies in your diet
2. Ginger, Honey And Pomegranate
• Take the same quantities of fresh ginger, pomegranate and ginger juice in a container
• Mix them thoroughly
• Take 1 tablespoon of the mixture 2-3 times per day
This will help you avoid asthma attacks effectively because honey is useful in removing mucus from the respiratory system whilst ginger helps stop the inflammation and also eliminates mucus when mixed when certain ingredients.
3. Ginger And Water
There are two ways you could combine ginger and water together to create a solution for asthma.
• Prepare 1 teaspoon ground ginger and ½ cup of fresh water.
• Take ground ginger in a small bowl and followed by water
• After stirring it well, you drink 1 tablespoon of the solution before sleeping
• Drink this every day so you can control over your asthma. Or, you could simply chew on one piece of ginger every day.
• Prepare 1 inch piece of fresh ginger and 1 glass of boiling water
• After washing the fresh ginger piece and letting it dry, you cut it into pieces
• Add them to the glass of water
• Let it steep for 5 to 10 minutes
• After letting it cool down, you drink the solution on a daily basis (1-2 times per day)
4. Ginger, Fenugreek And Honey
Another way on how to use ginger for asthma is to combine it with honey and fenugreek.
• 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger juice
• 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds
• 1 tablespoon of honey
• Soak the fenugreek seeds in water overnight
• Next morning, remove water and dry the seeds
• Put ginger juice, fenugreek seeds and honey into a small bowl and mix them well
• Drink the solution twice per day on a daily basis to help detoxify your lungs and relieve asthma symptoms
5. Ginger And Honey
Just simply combine ginger and honey together could also create a great solution for those who want to know how to use ginger for asthma.
• Fresh ginger
• Add small pieces of fresh ginger to a bowl
• Add a proper amount of honey to it and stir
• Take this mixture daily (chew slowly before swallowing it)
6. Ginger And Walnuts
Among many methods on how to use ginger for asthma, this one is based on traditional Chinese medication. It is thought that the combination of ginger root and walnuts will help clear the lungs of too much phlegm and therefore eradicate coughing and clear the airways naturally.
• 3 walnuts
• 3 slices of ginger which is freshly chopped
• Warm tea or liquid (optional)
• Remove the meat from walnuts
• Grind them well; take ginger slices to grate
• Add the grated ginger to that walnuts mixture and stir
• Take this solution with warm tea before hitting the hay
If you use this method, it is believed that the next morning, you will wake up without symptoms of asthma.
7. Ginger Tea And Lemongrass Flavor
One of the best methods on how to use ginger for asthma is drinking the ginger tea (combined with some certain ingredients) during the asthma attacks. It will not only refresh you but also energize you in just a few minutes.
• ¼ cup of grated fresh ginger root
• 1 stalk of slide lemongrass
• 1 teaspoon of honey
• 1 small lemon
• 2 teaspoons of herbal tea
• 4 cups of water
• Strainer or sieve
• Take the saucepan and pour water into before placing it on the stove over medium heat
• Let it boil for several minutes before reducing the heat
• Add sliced lemongrass stalk along with grated ginger to
• Let it simmer for 10 minutes; turn off heat
• After adding herbal tea, you use the strainer (sieve) to strain that mixture
• Take the juice of lemon and add it and honey to the tea
• Drink the solution on a daily basis to relieve many health issues, including asthma.
How To Use Ginger For Asthma – Precautions When Using Ginger For Asthma
Despite ginger is safe for most cases of asthma; it still has some side effects if used in improper dosage. You should know the exact dosage as well as timing when using ginger for asthma. The following are some must-know precautions when it comes to learning how to use ginger for asthma.
• Adding ginger compounds to isoproterenol which is a kind of asthma medicine will promote the bronchodilating effects to open up airways.
• Including ginger to your daily diet is always better for your asthma than using it as an alternative for asthma treatment only.
• Ginger essential oil could help improve your breathing. So, don’t hesitate to put some drops of ginger oil in the nebulizer containing distilled water and inhale the mist to help remove mucus as well as other blockages.
• Because ginger has blood thinning property, so those using medicines for blood thinning or those who are about to take operation or surgery should avoid taking the ginger in advance (1 week).
• Ginger is not recommended for those who are take medications that result in beta-blockers, drowsiness. Besides, immune suppressants also need to avoid it.
• Nursing or pregnant women and children need to consult a doctor before using ginger for asthma.
• You should use organic fresh ginger root and remember to wash it carefully before using as ginger is grown in the ground.