Despite it might be most famous for the spicy taste, promoting food products like ginger ale as well as ginger snaps, ginger could also be used for much than just flavoring. For over 2000 years, ginger has been used as a natural medicinal aid worldwide. Oftentimes, people use ginger for nausea and vomiting, ginger for asthma, and ginger for a cold. However, there is another benefit of ginger that not many people acknowledge – it is ginger for pain, arthritis, and various other ailments, such as inflammation and joint pain. In fact, arthritis is among the most common disability in the many countries, including UK. It is generally treated with anti-inflammatory drugs, yet side-effects of several types of drugs can be severe.
When it comes to usage of ginger for pain and arthritis management, there are some studies focusing on the efficiency of ginger for joint pain and these studies yielded various results. Ginger might help in relieving joint pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. According to a study, knee pain associated with osteoarthritis was reduced after 3 months of the treatment with ginger. You can use ginger for pain in different forms, including fresh, crystallized, ground, tinctures, oils tears, and capsules. It is very easy to tolerate the hot flavor of ginger if it is crystallized or simply coated with sugar. Another way on how to use ginger for pain is to steep slices of the fresh ginger in the boiling water to make ginger tea. Among many methods on how to use ginger for pain, the following method that WikiYeah.com introduces is highly recommended:
- Blender or juicer
(In the drink / food form):
- Cut the fresh ginger into many 1 or 2-inch slices
- Run through a blender till you get ginger juice. Set the blender according to your favorite of consistency of ginger juice.
- Drink no more than 4 grams of fresh ginger juice / tea (the same goes for supplement form) each day to relieve arthritis pain or headaches.
In the compress form:
- Cut fresh ginger into different 1 or 2-inch slices
- Pour water into a pot and bring it to boiling. Turn off the heat after the water gets full boil.
- Soak fresh ginger slices prepared in hot water for 1 hour so the ginger soil perfectly seeps into water.
- Rewarm water, not boil
- Soak the clean cloth in the ginger water, hold onto your affected body area. This warm water and ginger will lessen your pain and inflammation.
Tips And Warnings
- It is shown that ginger can be very effective in relieving joint pain of osteoarthritis if used in the form of ginger extract of 250 mg four times per day.
- The ginger water mixture for compress form could also be drunk as a normal tea
- You should not consume over 4 grams of ginger each day as excessive doses of ginger could lead to diarrhea, heartburn, irritation in the mouth.
- Those people having gallstones or other bleeding disorders and those who are taking blood-thinning medications should consult the advice from doctors before making use of ginger.