Heartburn is a common problem that most adults experience during the lifetime. This condition is characterized by the feeling of burning sensation behind the breastbone that usually creeps up the throats. The cause of heartburn is mainly because of the acid reflux happening when the ring of muscle allowing food into the stomach relaxes when it should not.
Apart from medications and drugs, you can always treat heartburn with the help of natural ingredients. In this article, we focus on mustard, which is claimed to be able to relieve heartburn symptoms. However, does it work?
To be honest, there is not any single evidence suggesting that mustard has valuable effect on acid reflux and heartburn. Nonetheless, there is a thing to consider: mustard itself has some ingredients. Mustard is the variation of different ingredients which are vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt and some other ingredients based on the flavor. Vinegar has acetic acid which is a strong stimulant to producing saliva. As a result, mustard is claimed to help reduce heartburn.
How To Use Mustard For Heartburn And Acid Reflux?
Mustard is an alkalizing food which contains vinegar- a weak acid, and also is rich in minerals, such as magnesium, iron, niacin, calcium, phosphorus, zinc and omega-3 fatty acids. Consuming 1 teaspoon of mustard will help cure heartburn within minutes by neutralizing the acids in your stomach without involving in any harsh chemicals or medicines.
Also, because it neutralizes the acids in your stomach, it can prevent extra acid production in the stomach. What is more, mustard can also improve the pH level in your stomach by balancing the acids and your intake of alkaline.
The minerals included in mustard are good for digestion and help in preventing heartburn and acid reflux. The good news when it comes to mustard for heartburn is that it can work to decrease the burning sensation accompanied with reflux. But, the bad news is that it is because of the diluted vinegar, and seems less effective than using only vinegar. Because it is vinegar, not mustard seeds that lessen heartburn symptoms, so make sure that you use the real mustard, not mustard seed, so make sure that you check the list of ingredients before using.
Nevertheless, mustard also has an advantage. It takes better and could be used in different recipes. Thus, you can include mustard in cooking process or top it on sandwiches as well as other dishes. Not mention to uses of mustard in diet for heartburn, there are some other simple ways on how to use mustard for heartburn. Check out on WikiYeah.com!
1. Yellow Mustard And Buttermilk
You can make use of mustard for heartburn with the help of buttermilk in case you cannot consume mustard with water.
Steps to use buttermilk and mustard for heartburn:
- Take 1 glass of buttermilk to add 2-3 teaspoons of mustard into
- Drink this solution to relieve heartburn symptoms
An alternative is to add 1 teaspoon of asafetida and chopped cilantro and a pinch of salt.
2. Mustard And Honey
When it comes to how to use mustard for heartburn, the combination of honey and mustard can also alleviate the symptoms of heartburn naturally without side effects.
- Take a glass of tepid water and put 2 teaspoons of organic yellow mustard into
- Then, add 1 teaspoon of honey into
- Stir them well
- Drink this solution regularly
3. Mustard Tea
Have you ever heard about mustard tea? Believe it or not, this is one of unique but effective ways on how to use mustard for heartburn and other health issues.
- 2 glassed of water
- 1 teaspoon tea leaves
- 2 teaspoons of mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon of grated ginger
- Milk and honey
- Boil the prepared water
- Add tea leaves into the water and boil them for several minutes
- Then, add mustard powder, cinnamon powder and grated ginger into and boil for a few minutes.
- Strain it before adding some honey and milk (optional)
- Consume it regularly
- If you choose green tea leaves instead of tea leaves, do not add milk after that.
Tips To Use Mustard For Heartburn Without Side Effects
- Do not drink any liquids after taking mustard to avoid wash it down
- For those who do not like mustard taste, after swallowing it, you can swish the mouth with water before spitting it out.
- Use the real mustard with good quality
- Pack mustard individually in a few packets so you can use it in emergencies
- To get instant relief from heartburn symptoms, allow mustard to slide down the throat to coat it thoroughly
- Do not eat spicy food, avoid using some certain medications and lose weight
- When sleeping, elevate the head to about 4-6 inches
- Take antacids